Can you believe it’s October already! I love starting a new month out. It means new goals! Starting a new week, a new month or a new year imparts the feeling of fresh start. It’s a chance to reset, recharge and re-do. What I’m talking about are two words that get thrown around a lot when it comes to going after your goals: Inspiration and motivation. Inspiration is easy, it’s something we get from others or things around us (like the start of a new month), motivation on the other hand is all up to you! Keep Reading!
Miracle cures and that elusive fountain of youth… Keep Reading!
Once the aroma of freshly brewed roasted barley tea hits your senses, you’ll be drinking this intoxicating tea daily. Making a cup of roasted barley tea a part of your daily ritual not only smells great – you’ll get some added health benefits too! Keep Reading!
Let’s face the facts: Stress is a normal part of modern life. That’s right, even if you’re Queen Bey, stress is part of the daily grind. The thing is, it doesn’t have to be a BIG part of your life — if you can manage it effectively. We’ve looked into the daily lives of successful people from all walks of life to bring you advice for managing stress throughout your day. If you want to begin each morning and end each night with little less worry, start with these tips. Keep Reading!
Do your daily habits reflect your best self? Do they align with your goals, aspirations, dreams or what you want to improve upon or learn? If they don’t then it’s time to re-evaluate how to make your daily habits reflect YOU! Keep Reading!
You hear it all the time from, “you should drink more water,” to “eight glasses a day!” but do you actually drink enough water?
Continue reading “H2O: Do You Drink Enough?”
If running has you in a rut or your gym has you yearning for some new scenery, then it’s time for a change of pace. Celebs are the ultimate gym bunnies to look to for inspo on what’s new and different in the fitness world, because seriously, who has the time to work out more than the likes of Madonna? Beat boredom and seek out some less traditional methods to challenge your body, try something totally new and, perhaps, have some fun doing it. If you’re after a healthy bod complete with a booty like J Lo, chiseled abs like Beyoncé and lean limbs like Jennifer Aniston, then you’ve got to try these celeb workouts that are totally worth the burn.
1. Cardio Barre: How does all of this sound to you: chiseled abs, defined arms and a booty to match? Yes, please! Take cue from Dakota Fanning, who feels that Cardio Barre makes exercising all the more fun because you get to feel like a ballerina at the same time. (via Cardio Barre and Jamie McCarthy/Getty)
2. SoulCycle: Talk about a workout — this total body fitness program is sure to get you sweaty and whipped into shape in no time. Katie Holmes is an avid fan, and for good reason. And don’t worry if you feel like your soul is literally getting crushed, because the motivational coaching you get from SoulCycle will keep you on your toes and on target with your fitness goals. (via SoulCycle and Bryan Bedder/Getty)
3. Surfset Fitness: Surf’s up with this new workout that actually mimics riding the waves — without the ocean. The workout designed by Surfset Fitness is touted by Madonna’s personal trainer, Nicole Winhoffer, as an all around, full body workout that can be adjusted for all fitness levels. If you’re after stellar abs along with a serious boost in balance, strength and endurance, you’ve got to get on board. (via Surfset Los Angeles and Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Aerial Silks: This workout focuses on flying high while defining, strengthening and sculpting your arms, legs, abs and booty. Kim Kardashian is a fan of this fun, efficient and need we say uplifting workout. (via Aerial Physique and Jonathan Liebson/Getty)
5. AntiGravity Yoga: Take your workout off the ground and check out one of Gwyneth Paltrow’s tried and true fitness methods, AntiGravity Yoga. She explains that it’s a gentler approach to aerials where one can practice all of the yoga moves without needing arms of steel. Get it girls. (via AntiGravity Fitness and Rachel Murray/Getty)
6. Shockwave: Get prepared for a workout that is, quite literally, shocking. We’re talking circuits combined with Indo-Row machines, body bars and kettle bells to carve out the best possible you. Just check out Cameron Diaz — she worked hard to chisel those abs, and Shockwave is one of her fitness faves. (via Blaze Fitness Studio and Theo Wargo/Getty)
7. SLT: They say if cardio, strength training and Pilates had a baby it would be SLT: Strengthen. Lengthen. Tone. Don’t be turned off by the Megaformer — a machine outfitted with handles, straps and pulls — ’cause it’s there to help you get your sweat on while strengthening and lengthening those muscles. Look to Sofía Vergara; she does SLT to maintain her sleek physique along with eating clean by avoiding processed food. (via The Epoch Times and Robert E. Rodriguez/Getty)
8. Ballet Beautiful: Lusting after a sleek but strong ballerina body? Well, you’ve got to work hard to get it, but professional ballerina Mary Helen Bowers has created the perfect method for people like you and Natalie Portman to work your way to ballerina fit. (via You Beauty and Andreas Rentz/Getty)
9. The Tracy Anderson Method: Work it girl! Make like J.Lo and drink the Tracy Anderson Kool-Aid, because it’s a step in the right direction toward transforming your body inside and out. Choose a program that’s right for you, and fear not: If there isn’t a studio near you, you can train with Tracy right from your living room via the live stream video subscription service. (via Tracy Anderson and Kevin Winter/Getty)
10. Doonya: Dance away the inches with this vibrant, Bollywood-inspired workout. If you can’t get to a class, don’t sweat it; you can get Doonya’d right at home or on the go. Need a little inspo before you get down with Doonya? Check out Kelly Ripa dancing with Doonya for the first time on live TV. (via Doonya and Stephen Lovekin/Getty)
11. DailyHIIT: Prepare to get your butt kicked with this high intensity interval workout (HIIT) that is awesome because, a) not only do you get results like Beyoncé but b) you can do it all from your very own living room. (via Body Rock and Buda Mendes/Getty)
12. Da Vinci Bodyboard: Brought to fitness fanatics by the pioneer of Pilates, Floery Mahoney, the Da Vinci Bodyboard may look menacing, but it’s a powerhouse of resistance training, muscle-toning and strength-building goodness. Miranda Kerr swears by Pilates and suggests incorporating it into your fitness schedule at least two times per week. It’s easy when you’ve got everything you need right at home with the Da Vinci Bodyboard. (via Da Vinci Bodyboard and Neilson Barnard/Getty)
Okay gym rats, let us know if you’ve tried any of these celeb-inspired workouts before. If so, comment below if it was worth the burn!
There’s nothing worse than feeling bloated and uncomfortable amiright!? It’s often the cause of what we are eating and drinking along with lack of sleep. To get back on track and beat the dreaded bloat I’ve got just the trick!
Continue reading “Beat the Dreaded Bloat With This SUPERPOWER Tea”
When it comes to lifestyle changes like healthy eating it’s important to remember this: If you don’t like it don’t eat it.
A common mistake people make is trying to eat foods that they don’t really like and if you do that, you are setting yourself up for failure. Think of it this way, if you don’t like kale and you packed a big ‘ole kale salad for lunch, chances are you’re not going to enjoy it and you’ll easily gravitate towards the office donuts instead!
So, don’t do that!
Plan ahead, keep some go-to recipes in your arsenal and healthy eating will become a no-brainer!
(Click here to view or print)
Baked Oatmeal Cup (Makes 12) Freeze leftovers for the next week
Raw Zucchini Sushi Rolls
Ranch-Roasted Chickpea Salad Bowl: These salads bowls are packed with vegetables and ranch-roasted chickpeas!
Roasted Grape, Goat Cheese + Honey Stuffed Sweet Potato
Salad Stuffed Avocado
Edamame-Chickpea Power Salad with Avocado-Lime Dressing
If you’re interested in learning healthier habits without restricting yourself to the point of “HANGRY,” this is the meal plan for you! I find that when I am too strict with my diet I end up eating my weight back!
This meal plan is for the active, busy and fitness conscious woman, looking to maintain a healthy bod, stay sane and feel energized. It’s an approachable week of healthy meals that shouldn’t leave you feeling overwhelmed!
Sweet Potato Tostadas
Kale and Coconut Chicken Soup (Serve with 1 Cup Steamed Rice or Quinoa)
Loaded Sweet Potatoes
Chicken Salad Filled Avocado
Baked Chicken Fajitas
Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
Kale Apple and Feta Salad
Thai Baked Salmon
Chicken with Peanut Sauce and Sweet Potatoes
So, you want to eat healthy and meal plan like a pro?
Don’t fail before you even begin! Spending time each week searching for recipes, making list after list of ingredients and groceries, getting to the store and prepping for the week ahead is about as exhausting as writing this run-on sentence… BUT it’s worth it.
Here is why: Anything you begin, a new job, a new family, a fitness goal etc. does not come easy, you struggle every day with hitting sales goals, waking up in the middle of the night with a hungry baby, working out once a day, saying no to office donuts… You get the picture, life is tough but, once you get your groove and understand how to NOT overcomplicate the process, all of that hard work begins to pay off. Soon you’ll find yourself meal planning and eating clean without even thinking about it.
Consistency is key, give anything about 21 days (this is the magic number that science has come up with) and you’ll form a habit. This means doing that one thing EVERY DAY for 21 days, no cheats, no skips and no tomorrows. Meal plan every day for 21 days and you’ll become a pro!
1. Get Inspired, Gather Recipes: Browse blogs and websites for ANYTHING that looks delicious and sticks to your clean eating goals. Store these recipes and don’t waste time or complicate things. I use Pinterest to store my faves because it’s visual and fast. Another option is Evernote For Food a quick way to grab recipes from the web on any device and create a cookbook, grocery list and meal plan. I’m also known for marking up cookbooks with sticky notes. Hey! whatever works.
2. Keep a Food Diary: Overwhelmed with the task of creating delicious, healthy and easy-to-execute meals for your household every day? You may want to start keeping a food diary. This habit can take away the headache of meal planning at the last minute. By recording meals that were definitely keepers you will have a go-to reference of stand-by meals that will make grocery shopping and meal planning much easier.
3. Start a Calendar: You’ve got to write it down. Choose a method that works for you, whether that be a chalkboard on the fridge, a journal, a Google Calendar or an Excel spreadsheet (like mine in the photo above.) Start filling in daily menus for the week with your clipped recipes or fave stand-by’s from your food diary.
4. Choose a Shopping Day and Create a List: You have your menus organized in your calendar now it’s time to really get organized. The goal of a grocery list is to ensure that you buy only what you need and it gets you in and out of the store quickly. Have your recipes nearby, take inventory of what you have in the cupboard and fridge and maintain a master list of things you buy each week (yogurt, eggs, milk…) then add to your master list the items you need from your recipes. Next, organize your list by grocery store department to save time like this:
- Bread, Cereal, Rice, and Pasta
- Milk, Yogurt and Cheese
- Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs and Nuts
- Fats, Oils and Sweets
- Staples, Condiments and Miscellaneous Foods (spices, baking powder, etc.)
- Health and Beauty Products
- Household Items (laundry soap, light bulbs, etc.)
5. Food Prep: Think of this as an extension of grocery shopping. As soon as you return from the grocery store and begin unloading your bags, food prep begins. Wash and dry lettuce. Chop onions. Roast vegetables. Soak beans for tacos. Shred zucchini for zoodles. Stack up glass containers of prepped ingredients in the refrigerator and bask in your own awesome preparedness.
There you have it. Now go, get organized and become the meal planning warrior that you were meant to be!
Brown Bag It! 18 Healthy Lunches | Brit + Co. by Michelle Swift
I’ve just received my very first mail-order food product—a box of snacks! I stumbled upon Nature Box via the interwebs a bit ago and decided to give it a whirl. Once a month Nature Box will send you a box of minimally processed and nutritionist approved snacks—no high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, trans fats, artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors
Nature Box appears to be a convenient way to try new things, enjoy a surprise (call me old-fashioned but I love receiving paper mail) and make all your co-workers jealous of your awesome stash of snacks! I bought into Nature Box thinking it would be a great way to healthfully snack at work. Ideally I can stash a bag of snacks in my desk to last the week ensuring that all 5 assortments last the month or more.
I’m interested to see if Nature Box will work for me, I foresee myself eating the entire bag of snacks in one sitting as opposed to a single serving—but I’m an optimist so we’ll see how it goes!
My first monthly shipment included:
Orange Crush Granola
Lone Star Snack Mix
Cranberry Almond Bites
Wild Berry Bunch
The Nature Box came with a nifty card explaining each of the snacks, recommendations, and a recipe utilizing one of the snacks. Each recyclable package lists the ingredients and nutritional information. Other good things include free shipping, cancel/pause monthly membership at anytime, and soon to be personal, customization of snacks received in your Nature Box. I have to make mention of the cute packaging, did you catch the shiny green foil!
The weather has been fickle, 50’s and thunderstorms on Monday and below 30° with snow today! The cold, the wet and the sudden change in temps may leave you sniffley, headachey or simply feeling blek.
Start your day with this FIRE-Y tea to help kick the common cold out of your system. It is said that ingesting spicy herbs warms the body, causing it to perspire, which could be beneficial in fighting of the first signs of a cold. So nip the maladies of chills, runny nose or fever in the bud with the following:
SRIRACHA, LEMON, GINGER + HOT WATER
Yes, common kitchen ingredients that naturally stimulate and strengthen the body.
I don’t know about you but when I’m sick, especially with a sore throat, I crave spice. Well, wouldn’t you know, capsicum aka cayenne or chili pepper is a stellar anti-viral—fighting colds, aches and pains with its HOT herbaceaus power!
A classic immunity tonic that provides relief of fever, sinus congestion, sore throat and stomach ache. It’s the oils in ginger we should credit for its healing prowess and because they are so strong a little goes a long way.
Not only will lemon juice enhance the taste of this fire-y concoction it also helps in speeding up the healing process. Just 1 lemon contains over 80% of the daily recommended value of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is another immune booster and will help shorten the duration of the pesky cold.
WHAT TO DO:
In a pot, over medium heat, boil water (enough for 1 mug of tea) and add a generous squeeze of Sriracha (you may also use a generous shake of powdered cayenne or a fresh cayenne pepper, slice it in half, toss it in the pot of water to steep.) Slice a 1-inch piece of ginger and add that to the pot. Let steep for 5-10 minutes then strain and pour into a large mug. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the tea and drink.