Once the aroma of freshly brewed roasted barley tea hits your senses, you’ll be drinking this intoxicating tea daily. Making a cup of roasted barley tea a part of your daily ritual not only smells great – you’ll get some added health benefits too!
Roasted barley tea known as mugicha in Japan, maicha in China and boricha in Korea is available in loose grains, tea bags or prepared tea drinks. Known as a cooling beverage, roasted barley tea can be brewed cold or hot. The tea is free from caffeine, sugar and is low in calories, about 2 calories per cup making it an excellent substitute for sodas and other sugar-laden beverages. The flavor of roasted barley tea announces a toasty, slightly bitter taste that is balanced by a nutty flavor, which also makes it a great substitute for coffee – just in case you’re one of those a pot a day drinkers!
For those interested in therapeutic beverages, roasted barley tea may become your next biggest hit. Not only does roasted barley tea smell amazing and taste great, it is loaded with added health benefits too:
1. Antioxidant Powerhouse: Used as a detoxification method, roasted barley tea has a high level of antioxidants and can help prevent health issues like inflammatory, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative disorders.
2. Antibacterial Scrub Brush: Forget oil pulling! Roasted barley tea keeps tooth decay at bay by inhibiting the adhesion of bacteria to tooth enamel.
3. Anticoagulant Action Hero: Get that blood flowing with roasted barley tea. That’s right, barley tea helps to regulate and enhance blood fluidity, preventing bad blood circulation and similar disorders.
4. Blood Cleanser: Good news for those of you with high blood sugar – roasted barley tea can reduce and regulate blood sugar! It also works as a blood cleanser reducing the cholesterol level in your body.
5. Digestive Diva: Goodbye constipation and bloating – Roasted barley tea to the rescue! Loaded with fiber, barley tea helps keep you regular and relieved. Acting as a natural antacid it can also improve digestion and help treat nausea.
6. Sleep Aide: No more counting sheep, ’cause roasted barley tea is a natural sleep aide, containing melatonin, tryptophan and amino acid, which aide in a good nights’ sleep. Remember, barley tea is caffeine-free!
7. Common Cold Cure: Drinking two cups a day will take the doctor away. True story! Roasted barley tea is said to be an effective treatment for fever, breaking up phlegm, helping to alleviate asthma, bronchitis and it can help relieve a sore throat.
8. Cancer Preventer: The high level of antioxidants in roasted barley tea are true fighters when it comes to free radicals. The antioxidant properties in barley tea target free radicals and help avert cell damage.
In a pan over medium heat dry roast unhulled barley for about 10 minutes or until a fragrant aroma is released and the barley turns a brownish tone.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of the roasted barley to 1 1/2 quarts of spring water.
Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 5-15 minutes (the longer you simmer the stronger the tea)
Serve hot or cold.
…or forego the DIY and hit up your local store! For convenience I purchase organic roasted barley tea bags from my local store, this is the brand that I use.
Have you tried Roasted Barley Tea? If so, share why you love it in the comments below: