This taco recipe is simple, quick to prepare and satisfying. Filled with real food and notes of sweet, sour and spicy paired with buttery textures of avocado and goat cheese. The honey compliments the tangy-ness of goat cheese while the lime, coriander and cumin lend a zing to the palette. This will be a go-to meal again and again.
Black Bean + Avocado + Goat Cheese Tacos with a Hint of Honey-Lime
adapted from Naturally Ella
1 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Coriander
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
Generous pinch of Crushed Red Pepper
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup Black Beans with liquid (can of beans)
2 Avocados, sliced
1/2 bunch of Cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 Lime
1 Tablespoon of Honey or Agave
3-4 oz Goat Cheese, crumbled
Corn or Flour Tortillas
*Optional brown rice to add to the tacos (Rice should be prepared ahead of time)
1. In a dry skillet, over medium heat begin by toasting the spices (coriander, cumin and crushed red pepper) until fragrant. To the same skillet add the black beans with the liquid and garlic. Over medium-low heat allow the beans, spices and garlic to cook together until the liquid has dissipated and the beans have thickened, about 10 minutes. If you like your beans a bit mashed (which I do) grab your potato masher and smash some of the beans a bit.
2. While the beans are simmering, in a small bowl or pitcher whisk together the juice from the lime along with honey or agave, set aside.
3. Slice the avocado, chop the cilantro and crumble the goat cheese, set aside.
4. Just before the beans are done warm the tortillas for serving. This may be done over a gas burner flipping the tortillas over the flame until soft and warm or via the microwave.
5. To assemble tacos, place ¼ of the black bean mixture in the center of the tortilla (if using brown rice add this next), layer avocado, cilantro and crumbled goat cheese on top and lightly drizzle the lime honey/agave mixture over taco filling.