We made it to my favorite season, yet I’m getting the feeling that Mother Nature has skipped over the best parts and headed straight to the cold weather! I’ve armed myself with my warmest hoodie sweatshirt, Smartwool socks and one of my favorite meals – polenta with mushrooms to break that chill!
This polenta dish is pretty simple – creamy polenta, mushrooms, garlic and a sprig of rosemary. A warm, yet bright meal which goes against what Mother Nature is dishing outside my window right now….Brrr!
Creamy Polenta and Mushrooms
P.S. This is dish is great with chickpeas, greens, or blistered cherry tomatoes if you are up for some variations!
for the polenta:
1 cup polenta
4 cups water
1 tablespoon butter (or Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to go on top
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, smashed
3 cups mixed mushrooms, (whatever kinds you like) coarsely chopped
1 sprig rosemary
- Make the polenta: Bring 4 cups of water to a boil with a few big pinches of salt. Gradually add the polenta while whisking. Continue whisking for a few minutes until smooth & not lumpy.
- Continue cooking the polenta for 20-30 minutes, whisking often. (If using instant polenta, follow instructions according to package.)
- Turn heat off, whisk in butter, salt, pepper & cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add the rosemary sprig, smashed garlic clove, mushrooms and a few pinches of salt.
- Cook until golden brown (8-10 minutes or so), stirring only occasionally.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper
- Serve the polenta topped with mushrooms and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.